The laboratory carries out metallurgical tests on samples of materials and weldings in order to:
- detect superficial or internal discontinuities
- ascertain the microstructure and the grain size of the material and its welding
- determine coating thickness
- assess the thermal treatment they have been subjected to and
- determine eventually their compliance with the standards
Methods used are: stereoscopy, optical microscopy (x1000) and electron microscopy (x150000), combined with hardness and chemical analysis.