The laboratory carries out metallurgical testing in order to:
– detect superficial or internal discontinuities,
– ascertain the microstructure and the grain size of the parent and weld material
– determine coating thickness via optical microscopy,
– assess the thermal treatment they have been subjected to and
– determine eventually their compliance with the standards.
Methods used are: stereoscopy, optical microscopy (x1000) and electron microscopy (x150000), combined with hardness and chemical analysis.